Work with us!
Paprika Festival is looking for a General Manager to join our team!
Date Posted: December 10, 2020
Application Deadline: January 15, 2021
Start Date: Training March 2021 (35 hours); Position start April 15, 2021 (Outgoing-GM will be available on a reduced hourly basis for continued onboarding)
Compensation: Training $750.00; $14,000.00, less applicable deductions
Paprika Theatre Festival
For the past 20 years, Paprika Theatre Festival (Paprika) has been the home of the emerging artist. We are a year-round, youth-led performing arts organization celebrating the work of young and emerging artists. Paprika programs include a strong focus on mentorship and training, and we are guided by the four core values of accessibility, artistic development, community, and youth leadership. Our educational programs include: Creators Unit, Playwrights Unit, Directors Lab, Paprika Productions, Indigenous Arts Program, Design Lab, and the Festival Creative Producers and Administrators. These programs run between October and May, culminating in an annual Festival. For more information, please visit, www.paprikafestival.com.
Part-time position, with training hours beginning in March 2021.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the position of General Manager offers an incredible opportunity for an emerging arts manager or producer to lead a professional performing arts organization, promoting and producing the work of young and emerging artists. The successful candidate will have excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal skills, the ability to work well in a team environment, as well as some knowledge of basic accounting. Previous fundraising experience is highly preferred.
- Create operating budget with the assistance of the Artistic Producer and the Board Treasurer
- Perform and manage all of the organization’s treasury functions, which include but are not limited to:
- Receiving, accounting and depositing all funds received by Paprika
- Disbursing funds to Paprika vendors including staff, artists, contractors, and service providers
- Maintaining up-to-date accounting records to support transactions completed
- Liaise with bookkeeper, payroll administrator, and independent auditor throughout the year
- Coordinate annual audit with bookkeeper and auditors
- Compile information requests for and collaborate with Artistic Producer in writing of grant applications and final reports
- Oversee all reporting in compliance with CRA requirements
- Maintain all accounting software and programs including but not limited to: Quickbooks, Plooto, Hubdocs
Administration and Management
- Manage Paprika staff alongside Artistic Producer, with direct reports from Communications Manager and Assistant General Manager
- Work closely with the Artistic Producer in managing all partnerships with other arts and community organizations
- Oversee annual planning objectives and timelines
- Coordinate biannual performance reviews with staff alongside Artistic Producer
- Liaise with participants throughout the duration of the season providing mentorship and producing assistance where appropriate
- Ensure the maintenance and disbursement of organizational policies
- Maintain all record-keeping
- Provide mentorship and professional development opportunities as needed
- Strategize on annual fundraising efforts alongside relevant staff members and Board of Directors
- Prepare all written material related to solicitation packages, acquisition and acknowledgement letters
- Identify and solicit Corporate and Foundation prospects for programming support
- Maintain stewardship of individual donors, further develop opportunities for engagement
- Maintain accurate donation records
- Generate tax receipts according to CRA guidelines in a timely manner
- Secure Festival program advertisements
- Organize Festival receptions alongside Artistic Producer
- Develop in-kind partnerships with local establishments and organizations
- Responsible for the management of all fundraising events
- Supervise marketing and development staff members
Marketing and Communications
- Develop Communications and Marketing strategy with Communications Manager
- Supervise the marketing and promotion of the Festival, including reviewing copy in e-blasts and the festival program, and working with the Communications Manager on a digital and print marketing strategy
- Maintain all digital communications and media accounts including, but not limited to: GSuite, Slack, Dropbox, Wordpress
Board of Directors
- Act as primary liaison between the Board of Directors and the Paprika staff
- Attend all Board meetings and provide financial and administrative reports
- Update digital Board Reference materials
- Assist in the scheduling of Board and Annual General meetings
- Sit on relevant Board committees, including but not limited to: Fundraising and Finance Committees
Ideal Qualities and Interests
- Post-secondary education and/or work experience in arts administration, non-profit management, fundraising, producing, business or equivalent, preferably with additional knowledge or experience in theatre or the performing arts
- Flexible schedule is ideal – this role is suitable for an freelance producer, or in addition to other part-time work
- Knowledge of non-profit sector, granting bodies, and fundraising techniques are important assets
- Familiarity with the Toronto theatre industry and local/community establishments
- Attention to detail, willingness to learn, self-starter, ability to work well in both group and individual settings
- Highly organized, and willing to go above and beyond their expected duties
- Customer service and event experience are assets
- Passion for theatre, education and the nurturing of emerging artist talent
This position is approximately 15-18 hours a week, with reduced hours in the summer months. Due to Paprika’s youth-led nature, the ideal candidate will be under 30.
Paprika is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Paprika is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Paprika will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on race, colour, religion or belief, sexuality, gender expression, family or parental status or any other legally protected grounds. Paprika encourages applicants of all ages. Accommodations are available throughout the hiring process.
How to Apply:
In order to apply for this position, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 15 at 11:59pm EST with the subject line “General Manager Application”. Late submissions will not be accepted.
For questions or access requests related to the application process, please contact Naz Afsahi at email@example.com
Paprika thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by email.
Please note: First round interviews to take place in February 2021 over Zoom.
Name: Naz Afsahi