Seeking Festival Associate to Lead the 2015/2016 Advisory Board
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:
We are seeking an enthusiastic, organized and ambitious young person to join our Festival staff as Festival Associate and Advisory Board Leader.
The Advisory Board is a hands-on leadership training program for young people, led by young people. For each member it is a way to connect with the Festival as a creative thinker and to help us imagine our next steps. The Advisory Board plans creative projects, executes fundraising activities, and programs parts of the Festival.
The Festival Associate will be the head of the Advisory Board for the 2015/16 season. They will be in charge of organizing and leading meetings, spearheading Advisory Board initiatives, and steering the direction of the Advisory Board program itself. Furthermore, the Festival Associate will have opportunities to shadow Paprika Festival staff in aspects of arts management, programming or administration that interest them; a desire for mentorship and hands-on experience is essential.
The Advisory Board meets monthly to take on projects that support the Paprika Festival as a whole. This is a great way to learn about how a charitable non-profit arts organization works. You will be designing your own portfolio of events and activities as you assist the Festival to expand its programming, connect with new audiences, engage participants with each other and the arts, manage logistics, and talk about the way that new work is encouraged and created.
More information about the Paprika Festival's mandate and values can be found here.
This is an active learning opportunity with ongoing mentorship. A small honorarium is provided.
Please note this is a year-long position, beginning August 2015 and ending June 2016.
The ideal candidate will have:
- An investment in the well-being of the festival and festival events
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Strong initiative and a willingness to learn
- An enthusiasm for the arts, theatre and youth engagement
- Experience in arts production, management or advocacy is an asset. Volunteer experience counts!
- Strong preference will be given to previous members of the Paprika Advisory Board and/or previous participants of the Paprika Festival.
Festival Associate duties:
- Participating in Paprika’s bi-weekly staff meetings and taking meeting minutes
- Interviewing applicants and selecting the Advisory Board members of the 2015/16 season
- Organizing monthly Advisory Board meetings, beginning October 30, 2015
- Liaising between the Advisory Board and the staff
- Full participation in Festival events (May 2016) and all Festival Training Days.
- Participation and assistance in the execution of The Intersection (a conference for emerging artists)
- Planning and executing two fundraising events, under the supervision and direct mentorship of Festival Staff
- Responsible for the participation and commitment of all Advisory Board members at mandatory events
- Assistance with outreach to schools, community groups and through social media to recruit Advisory Board Members.
- Additional artistic and administrative duties as required by the Artistic Producer and General Manager
- Commitment to creating a fun, engaging and motivating environment for Advisory Board Members is the role’s most important duty! People skills are a must-have.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Festival Associate - Applicant Name" as the subject line. The cover letter should address the following questions:
- What is it about this program and the Paprika Festival that interests you? Include a summary of your previous experience with Paprika and/or the Advisory Board if applicable
- What experience and/or skills do believe you can bring to the Advisory Board as Leader?
- What skills do you hope to gain from this position?
- How will you make time in your life to meet the time commitment of this program?
- Tell us about one time you used your leadership skills in the arts
- To help us schedule your interview, please include detailed availability for August 7th, 2015 and August 8th, 2015
SEND E-SUBMISSIONS TO:
SEND MAIL SUBMISSIONS TO:
16 Ryerson Avenue
Toronto, Ontario, M5T 2P3
DEADLINE IS July 27th AT 11:59PM
Please feel free to contact Artistic Producer, Darwin Lyons, with any questions or concerns via email@example.com
All applicants will be invited to an entrance interview. Interviews will be conducted on the evenings August 7th and daytime of August 8th.