The Directors Lab is geared towards emerging directors looking to develop their craft. In partnership with Native Earth Performing Arts and Theatre Passe Muraille, participants will receive mentorship from a professional theatre company, participate in master classes with a professional director, and have their work showcased at the festival. We will accept two emerging directors to participate in three master classes with a professional director where they will give feedback on their work. These master classes will be tailored to the participant’s interests and are a chance for experimentation with new directorial approaches and practices.
The participants will each be partnered with one of Paprika’s partner companies: Native Earth Performing Arts or Theatre Passe Muraille. The participant will work with members of the company to develop a mentorship schedule in order to learn about working in a professional institution. Your work is shared in the Paprika Festival May 25-31, 2020 at Aki Studio (Daniels Spectrum). This program has a suggested age limit of 30.
In addition to being part of this program, all participants gather for four Training Day masterclasses led by professional artists, with workshop topics ranging from physical theatre, to pitching your show, to decolonizing arts practice. These days are a chance for participants to meet and work with one another (and find future collaborators!).
– Attend three Master Classes and fellow directing participant
– Attend agreed upon meetings with Native Earth Performing Arts or Theatre Passe Muraille.
– Attend a meet and greet and Paprika Festival Training Days (Dates TBD)
– Your stage manager and designers attend a Technical Theatre Workshop (Dates TBD)
– Independently rehearse a piece to be staged in the festival May 25-31, 2020 (we provide the performance venue and mentorship but not rehearsal space or props/costumes/set)