JOIN OUR TEAM: Canada Summer Jobs Arts Administrator
Are you into the intersection of arts and operations? Love a good spreadsheet? Like to build systems and make 👏 things 👏 happen 👏? Want to learn more about how a small arts organization operates day to day? Join our team this summer as an arts administrator for the Paprika Theatre Festival!
This is a great training opportunity for emerging artsworkers, administrators, producers, general managers and aspirational organizational leaders.
Application Deadline: Sunday July 2, 2023 at midnight
Contract Dates: July 17, 2023 - September 1, 2023
Position: Arts Administrator
Fee: $15.50/hour for 35 hours/week, plus vacation pay. We recognize that most emerging artists and artsworkers are balancing multiple jobs and freelance projects — the hours and schedule for this position are flexible and accommodations can be made in order for you to meet other existing commitments.
Region: Downtown Toronto, ON
For the past 22 years, Paprika Festival has been a year-round youth-led performing arts organization celebrating the work of young and emerging artists. All of the programs include a strong focus on mentorship and training, and are guided by the four core values of accessibility, artistic development, community and youth leadership. Paprika’s educational programs include Creators Unit, Playwrights Unit, Directors Lab, Design Lab, Indigenous Arts Program and Creative Producers. These programs run between November and May, culminating in the annual Festival. For more information, please visit our website, www.paprikafestival.com.
Reporting to the General Manager and Artistic Producer, the Arts Administrator will support with administrative tasks related to development and sponsorship, contracting and engagement, policy-making, strategic planning and operations, institutional knowledge and information management, copy-editing, and assisting in preparation for the next call for #Paprika23 participants. This position offers an excellent opportunity to gain hand-on experience working in arts administration within a youth-run arts organization and live performing arts festival.
As this role is funded by Canada Summer Jobs, candidates must be between 15-30 at the beginning of their employment (if your 30th birthday is on or after July 18, you can still apply!), and a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person granted refugee status, and legally entitled to work in Canada currently residing within the Greater Toronto Area. If you have any questions about these restrictions, please contact email@example.com
This role is a predominately remote position, with limited in person hours required which can be scheduled around the employee.
Contract dates: July 17 - September 1, 2023
- Participate in Paprika’s staff meetings and strategic planning meetings; take meeting minutes and distribute action items in a timely manner.
- Assist General Manager in the research of grants, foundations, and sponsorships for development purposes.
- Assist General Manager in outreach efforts as it pertains to development and securing new funding for the organization and its programs.
- Liaise with sponsors, donors, and funders.
- Secure in-kind food and drink donations and in-kind space partnerships for various Paprika events (Training Days, Orientation, Program Meetings, etc.)
- Assist General Manager in the creation of a sponsorship strategy and assets and solicit funds from potential corporate bodies.
- Assist with online file and media organization, including Google Drive and Dropbox
- Assist with creation and testing of Call for Participant Application forms
- Assist with creating updated copywriting for Website and social media communications
- Assist with scheduling Partnership meetings, Facilitator Meetings, and Program Planning
- Assist in creating Facilitator and Participant Contracts, in consultation with the Artistic Producer and General Manager
- Assist in updating Policy Documents with direction from the Artistic Producer and General Manager.
- Assist in creating Memorandums of Understanding with Festival and Program Partners, in consultation with the Artistic Producer and General Manager.
- Coordinate with Program Facilitators to create Participant Interview Schedule
- Additional artistic and administrative duties as required by the Artistic Producer and General Manager
- Review and act in accordance with Paprika’s Child Safety Policy, Respect Policy, and Inclusive Language Toolkit
- Must be under 30 years old on the job start date to apply (funding-related requirement)
How to Apply:
Please send the following to Keshia Palm, Artistic Producer, via firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Applicant, Arts Administrator”:
- PDF resume
- Cover Letter OR short video (2 minute max) telling us why you’d be excited to work with Paprika specifically as an arts administrator
Applications are due by midnight, July 2, 2023. Interviews will take place over Zoom July 10-12.
Paprika is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Paprika is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Paprika will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on race, colour, religion or belief, sexuality, gender expression, family or parental status or any other legally protected grounds. Accommodations are available throughout the hiring process.