We are Hiring a Communications Manager!
Paprika Festival is looking for a Communications Manager to join our team!
Date Posted: May 14, 2021
Application Deadline: June 4, 2021
Start Date: Training period begins June 14, 2021; Position start July 1, 2021
Contract Dates: July 1, 2021 — June 30, 2022 (with possibility of extension)
Compensation: $6,000 for 12-month contract; $500.00 for training
Paprika Theatre Festival
For the past 20 years, Paprika Theatre Festival (Paprika) has been the home of the emerging artist. We are a year-round, youth-led performing arts organization celebrating the work of young and emerging artists. Paprika programs include a strong focus on mentorship and training, and we are guided by the four core values of accessibility, artistic development, community, and youth leadership. Our educational programs include: Creators Unit, Playwrights Unit, Directors Lab, Paprika Productions, Indigenous Arts Program, Design Lab, and the Festival Creative Producers and Administrators. These programs run between October and May, culminating in an annual Festival. For more information, please visit, www.paprikafestival.com.
The Communications Manager is responsible for working with the Paprika team to plan, implement and manage marketing, publicity and graphic design efforts leading up to and during the Festival (May 2022). This position offers an excellent opportunity to take on a leadership role in promoting and marketing a youth performing arts festival. The successful applicant will also have excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills, the ability to work well on a team, some knowledge of marketing strategy, and a passion for the performing arts. Graphic design abilities are needed. Access to Adobe and editing programs is an asset.
Contract dates: June 14-30, 2021 (training period), July 1st, 2021 - June 30, 2022, with possibility of extension.
This position provides the opportunity to:
- Be part of the Paprika team — Attend all staff meetings; attend post-festival debrief.
- Help us communicate our vision — Plan, create, and execute a marketing plan for the festival that spans print, digital, and social media with input from the General Manager and Artistic Producer.
- Draw attention to our programming — Design and develop marketing materials and assets for the Paprika Festival and ancillary events.
- Build a program guide from scratch — Draft, edit, and proof all components of the Festival program guide.
- Keep us looking fresh — Participate in the planning for Festival marketing, long-term planning and rebranding, and keeping up with social media campaigns and trends.
- Oversee our website content — Draft copy, suggesting edits, archiving pages, documenting previous Festival information, creating the pages needed for Festival-specific content.
- Write your heart out — Create Calls for Submissions, social media postings, newsletters, and news updates for our website.
- Get the shot — Coordinate photography coverage of all Paprika events, including behind-the-scenes looks at meetings, rehearsals, and other gatherings.
- Keep up-to-date with participants' experiences — Maintaining correspondence with participants throughout the year and gathering promotional information for Festival shows
- Connect with the media — Writing press releases and liaising with both relevant media outlets in the promotion of Paprika events
- Spread the word — Drafting copy for Festival ads and managing social media ads.
- Meet print deadlines — Act as the primary liaison between the Festival and the printers for all promotional materials and the annual program guide.
You are someone who:
- Pays attention to detail and is a self starter with an eye for design
- Has confidence in managing detailed project plans and organizing digital assets and logos
- Will meet deadlines and understands how to work within a budget
- Has previous experience with Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Canva, and/or Photoshop
- Will feel comfortable supporting emerging artists in the process of creating marketing and publicity material for their projects
- Has experience with copywriting, web publishing, and use of MailChimp (or is eager to learn!)
- Previously studied or has experience in marketing, communications, public relations, and/or arts administration
- Has knowledge of the non-profit sector and a passion for arts education and the performing arts
- Ideally is under the age of 30, or considers themselves an emerging arts administrator
- Has a solid knowledge of media contacts or feels confident in their ability to make those connections
NOTE: Paprika and the candidate acknowledge that this is a contract position where hours are flexible, understanding that there are busier and slower periods of programming during the 12-month period. Previously, individuals working this contract have worked approx. 25 hours per month in order to fulfill the duties as detailed.
Paprika is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Paprika is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Paprika will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on race, colour, religion or belief, sexuality, gender expression, family or parental status or any other legally protected grounds. Paprika encourages applicants of all ages. Accommodations are available throughout the hiring process.
How to Apply:
Please send a resume, cover letter, and a work sample of previous graphic design work and copy writing in a single PDF. Work samples must include at least 2 visual assets (eg: poster, social media post, promo graphic, logo, etc.) and 300-500 words of copywriting (eg: a press release, news announcement, promotional blurb... this can be a mix of multiple pieces).
Please send your single PDF to the Hiring Committee via email@example.com with the subject line: “Applicant, Communications Manager.” Applications are due by 5PM on May 28, 2021. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Paprika thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by email.