The Director’s Lab is geared towards emerging directors looking to develop their craft. In partnership with Native Earth Performing Arts and Theatre Passe Muraille, participants will receive mentorship from a professional theatre company, participate in master classes with a professional director, and have their work showcased at the festival. We will accept two emerging directors to participate in three master classes with a professional director, Clare Preuss, where Clare will give feedback on their work. These master classes will be tailored to the participant’s interests and are a chance for experimentation with new directorial approaches and practices.
The participants will each be partnered with one of Paprika’s partner companies: Native Earth Performing Arts or Theatre Passe Muraille. The participant will work with members of the company to develop a mentorship schedule in order to learn about working in a professional institution. Your work is shared in the Paprika Festival May 14-20, 2018 at Aki Studio (Daniels Spectrum). This program has a suggested age limit of 30.
The Director’s Lab Mentor:
CLARE PREUSS has collaborated with innovative companies across Canada and in Germany, Lebanon, Switzerland, Uganda and USA including: Alameda, Artistic Fraud of Newfoundland, bcurrent, BeMe, Blyth Festival, Buddies in Bad Times, Buffalo Infringement, Cahoots, Carlos Bulosan, Driftwood, Dynamo, Factory, Friction Group, fu-GEN, Gwaandak, Native Earth Performing Arts, New Harlem Productions, National Arts Centre, Nightwood, Paprika, Stratford Festival, among others. Click here to learn more about Clare
In addition to being part of one of this program, all participants gather for four Training Day masterclasses led by professional artists, with workshop topics ranging from physical theatre, to pitching your show, to decolonizing arts practice. These days are a chance for participants to meet and work with one another (and find future collaborators!).
- Attend three Master Classes with Clare Preuss and fellow directing participant
- Attend agreed upon meetings with Native Earth Performing Arts or Theatre Passe Muraille.
- Attend a meet and greet on December 10, 2017 and Paprika Festival Training Days on: January 28, 2018, February 25, 2018, March 25, 2018, April 29 2018
- Your stage manager and designers attend a Technical Theatre Workshop: April 28, 2018
- Independently rehearse a piece to be staged in the festival May 14-20, 2018 (we provide the performance venue and mentorship but not rehearsal space or props/costumes/set)
How to Apply: Fill out the application form below.
If you need help with your application or if you’d prefer to answer the questions in person, over the phone, or in another way, email firstname.lastname@example.org