JOIN OUR TEAM: #Paprika21 Backstage Coordinator
Come join as the Backstage Coordinator for #Paprika21! This is a great training opportunity for emerging Assistant Stage Managers, Stage Managers, and folks interested in Festival Production.
Application Deadline: April 8, 2022, 5PM
Start Date: May 9, 2022
End Date: May 22, 2022
Position: Backstage Coordinator
Region: Downtown Toronto, ON
For the past 21 years Paprika Festival, has been a year-round youth-led performing arts organization celebrating the work of young and emerging artists. All of the programs include a strong focus on mentorship and training, and are guided by the four core values of accessibility, artistic development, community and youth leadership. Paprika’s educational programs include Productions, Creators’ Unit, Playwriting Unit, Directors Lab, Design Lab, Indigenous Arts Program and Festival Creative Producers + Administrators. These programs run between October and May, culminating in the annual Festival. For more information, please visit our website, www.paprikafestival.com.
Reporting to the Production Manager and Artistic Producer, the Backstage Coordinator will oversee the backstage elements of the 21st annual Paprika Festival. This opportunity supports the Production Manager’s portfolio, and will work closely with other members of Paprika’s Technical team. This position offers an excellent opportunity to gain hand-on experience working on Stage Management within a live performing arts festival. All candidates are encouraged to apply, but the ideal candidate will be an early-career, emerging arts worker with a passion for Festival work.
Contract dates: May 9-22, 2022
- Attending the entire Paprika Festival tech and performance weeks (May 9-22, 2022), at Daniels Spectrum (585 Dundas St E) in reference to the Tech Schedule (final version to be confirmed).
- One 1-hour meeting with AP, GM, and PM before May 8th
- Assisting as needed for the entire run of the shows (including change-overs).
- Making sure events are running smoothly backstage.
- Liaising with all teams beforehand to ensure that a complete list of participants/team members for each piece is available with contact information.
- Checking which team members need to be present for show call times and ensuring that they have arrived.
- Managing artist sign-in during the Festival
- Understanding emergency evacuation procedures and enacting if required.
- Notifying the Production Manager and Artistic Producer if anyone is missing.
- Liaising with the Production Manager and Artistic Producer about any concerns backstage.
- Helping all productions set up and strike.
- Being a point person for participants backstage.
- Making sure all participants are following safety standards backstage.
- Reporting any safety concerns to the Production Manager and Artistic Producer immediately
- Giving participants stand by calls.
- Making sure audience members do not enter the backstage area.
- Performing show-specific duties as required, including but not limited to: opening doors for actors, helping with quick changes, helping to carry set pieces during switches, etc.
- Reviewing and acting in accordance with Paprika’s Child Safety Policy, Covid Safety Policy, and Respect Policy
How to Apply:
Please send a resume and cover letter detailing why you would be a good candidate for this position in a single PDF.
Please send your single PDF to Julia Dickson, General Manager, via firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Applicant, Backstage Coordinator.” Applications are due by 5PM on April 8, 2022
Paprika is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Paprika is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Paprika will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on race, colour, religion or belief, sexuality, gender expression, family or parental status or any other legally protected grounds. Paprika encourages applicants of all ages. Accommodations are available throughout the hiring process.
Paprika is a youth-led theatre festival. We prioritize applications from those under 30.